The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Religious curiosity?

Through Martin Downes my attention was drawn to this interview with Euan Murray found here. (I've inadvertently done three Scots blogs in a row now - and me a Welsh man. We Celts need to stick together - or should that be wee celts?)


Euan Murray wraps his arms around his 18st body and shivers. The Northampton Saints and Scotland tighthead prop is a mountain of a man, but he looks vulnerable when facing the subject of his religious choices.
This Sunday, as Scotland take on France at Murrayfield in their first match of the Six Nations, the 29-year‑old will not be on the pitch. He has decided to forgo Sunday matches, and all non-religious activity that affects the Christian Sabbath – including interviews with Sunday newspapers.
Tired of explaining himself, he recently informed his club that he would no longer discuss the decision, and so as we approach the subject Murray sighs. He rearranges his feet on the coffee table in front of him, and sinks deeper into his coat, visibly retreating. "What do you want me to say about it? I don't think I need to say much about it. It's a decision, a difficult decision I had to make. And I'm happy with my decision."
There is a stony silence. The interest in his story has been intense and there is a weariness apparent over being cast in the role of religious curiosity of the week. But it is impossible for Murray not to discuss the subject in detail because his two great loves – rugby and Christianity – are so inextricably linked. Even as he speaks the language of the two collide. "Take my yoke upon thee …" he says, quoting the Bible, before pausing to note the irony. "You know like the yoke we use in training?"
To sacrifice one for the other has been tough and there is a revealing sadness in his voice as he describes what it has been like to miss games for Northampton. "I missed being part of it," he says quietly. "Someone actually told me the score the last time and I was really, really happy that we'd won."
Does he sometimes wonder if he's made the right decision? There is a very long pause. "I believe that biblically I've made the right decision." And emotionally? Murray blows out his cheeks. "Well, when you really become a Christian, life's a battle. You're going against the tide. The crowd are going one way and you're going another. It's always going to be a battle to be different. The easy thing is to go along with the crowd, everybody's doing it. You know? Try going the opposite direction to a crowd. It's hard. You won't get very far."
Did he realise the attention would be so relentless after his announcement? "No I didn't," he says, "but I didn't actually make an announcement. A reporter found out, wrote an article on it and then the Scottish Rugby Union
confirmed that I wouldn't be playing on a Sunday." He shifts uneasily in his seat.
And so, when his team-mates run out against France on Sunday, what will he be doing? "I'll do the same thing I do every Sunday," he says. "Relax, rest, and enjoy the day. I won't watch the game. It's a day where I can enjoy the Lord." Will it be hard to not think about rugby? He laughs. "Yeah! I'll pray for the team. We'll see what happens. It's challenging. But ultimately rugby's not what fuels my happiness in life."
He stops, and then smiles. "I just wish that games of rugby weren't played on Sundays. Christ doesn't want them to be played on Sundays."

No comments: