The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Inspiration again

These two quotations from the Nichols' book I thought would be worth highlighting. They are both by Warfield, the first along with Charles Hodge in their book on inspiration and the second from 1893 on the real problem of inspiration.
“it is not in the first instance a principle fundamental to the truth of the Christian religion."
"We found the whole Christian system on the doctrine of plenary inspiration as little as we found it upon the doctrine of angelic existences."
I find myself partly resisting the idea and I'm sure many a Christian would struggle with it I dare say but it is surely correct.

No comments: