The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Banner and Lloyd-Jones

The new Banner mag for March is just out. The cover draws attention to the fact that march 2011 marks the thirtieth anniversary of the death of Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones. The issue contains and article on "The Influence of Dr Lloyd-Jones on My Life and Ministry" by Leo De Vos, "The Doctor in Spanish" by Jose de Segovia Barrón and an article based on an address by the Doctor on preaching, as well as one other article and News and Comment and Book Reviews.

"Martyn Lloyd-Jones is one of the men I admire most from the twentieth century, and the longer time goes on, my admiration for him increases. He had a more profound spiritual vision than anyone else I know."
Mark Dever, Capitol Hill Baptist Church, Washington DC

"I have often reached for one of those volumes on that great chapter of Paul’s Epistle when feeling attacked by Satan. For the tempted believer there is no better help that I know of, than Ephesians 6 as expounded by ML-J!" Leo De Vos
 
"As a young pastor I started each new week by reading a sermon of Dr Martyn Lloyd-Jones. In those years I ‘heard’ him preach through Ephesians, Romans, the Sermon on the Mount, and his lectures on the Puritans. What a blessing it was! I always looked forward to such moments because it was like eating fresh and healthy bread for myself. My spiritual life was shaped in various ways through the Doctor’s ministry: I learned to be exegetically honest, I learned to respect church history, I experienced what it means that first the mind needs to be enlightened and that consequently the heart and the will will react. So my horizon was widened, my way to carefully examine the modern and contemporary way of thinking was sharpened, my love for God’s people grew, and my joy in the Lord and in his blessings in Jesus grew deeper, and changed the way I looked at the church and the world around me. Martyn Lloyd-Jones is one of the first ten people whom I would like to meet in heaven, and I will be so pleased if I can thank him personally for his faithful ministry which has, by the power of the Holy Spirit, so blessed and enriched my life and helped me in my ministry."
Rainer Klinner, Principal of Fritzlar Bible College, Chairman of the Ministers’ Assembly of the Church of God, Fritzlar, Germany

No comments: