The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Eddie Mercx, etc


Not quite sure why this came to mind - probably some reference to the Tour de France. When I was a boy a JW lady who I can only vaguely remember used to visit my mother regularly for "Bible studies". Anyway I think she had been on holiday in Belgium (though may be not) and brought me a present - six plastic figures on cycles. I played with them for years despite having not interest in cycling and never having heard of anyone in it except Eddy Mercx. When I was a little older I went to Belgium myself on a school trip. My friend Gwilym saw the Panini albums for cycling stars and thought it would be the next big thing after the soccer stars that came out for the first time around then. I didn't think there would be any interest in Britain and for once I was right. When I was a student the Milk Race came through Aber and that's the closest I've been to a cyclist race. 

No comments: