The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 21 2016

I was preaching in Dunstable Baptist Church last Lord's Day. I have preached there once before (September 2013) and it was good to be back. Despite all their best efforts they have been without a pastor for nine years now. Part of the problem is that they don't feel they want someone young and fresh from college, which may be right. I preached two simple textual sermons half an hour each (see here and here) on Romans 6:23 and 2 Timothy 1:12 and I hope those messages were appreciated. It was a very enjoyable day, meeting people old and new. I recognised one lady and was not sure from where. When I enquired it turned out that she had worked in the Post Office in Golders Green some years ago but she and her family had moved out to Dunstable where they were converted. In its own way that was an encouragement to me.

No comments: