The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Griffith John

When I was in Swansea last I was reminded of Griffith John. I had missed the latest biography by a member of the church, John Aaron, which came out last February. It is in the Bitesize series which I am such a big fan of (22 out so far). This was a great introduction for me to man of whom I knew nothing. At the end of the book the author plausibly explains the reasons why he has fallen rather into obscurity. It also makes clear that by spending his life in Chin Griffith John made a real sacrifice one that may have been to Wales's detriment but was certainly to China's gain. The book includes references to Hudson Taylor and to a man who was just a name to me, Timothy Richard, and to the developing scene in China over the period when Griffith John was active. It is well written, brief and to the point, and an excellent introduction to the series. My one moan is that this new style cover is out of sync with all the rest.

No comments: