The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Survival Tips for Mums


I've just taken delivery of a new book by Elizabeth El Mostain. Elizabeth grew up in Childs Hill and went on to Aber University. She now lives in France and has six children. My daughter-in-law says "This is the kind of book that would be great to give to any expectant or new mum as well as those who want to remember what it is like having little ones, so they can better help and encourage mums in their church. Like the title suggests it is very practical, full of helpful tips and advice - from keeping spiritually healthy to what high chair is best to buy! But it is also interspersed with lovely relatable anecdotes that serve to show a glimpse of what Elizabeth’s home and children are like and the chaos that can sometimes be found (like lollies dripping down table legs). I found it very reassuring and honest! I wish it had existed when I first started parenting but I have three small boys at home and am thankful for the advice I can use now and some of the tips for situations I haven’t experienced yet. I can imagine pulling this book back out when I face those challenges, like the children getting chicken pox! With so much choice and so many voices in the world telling Christian mums what is best, it is helpful to have an experienced and godly mum share what she has found work and encourage mums to keep on keeping on in Jesus."

1 comment:

Isabella Jackson said...

The disadvantage of this is that you may still have to pack away items that you do not need when an emergency situation arises. Interested to know more about survival literature? Check out this site.