The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

The Good Ship Friend

I met up with my good friend Chris last night. He was down from North Wales on business. We just had an hour or two - time for two coffees and a bite to eat. Conversation never let up - music, family, our sins and failures, church responsibilities (he's just been made church secretary), growing old, etc. I've known Chris for 35 years and more and though I'm not much of a friend to have he's a great one. I thought of him when I ran across this C S Lewis quote from Michael Haykin's blog (see my link). He got it from Jayme Thompson at http://maryellensgranddaughter.blogspot.com/

"Friendship is the greatest of worldly goods. Certainly to me it is the chief happiness of life. If I had to give a piece of advice to a young man about a place to live, I think I should say, "Sacrifice almost everything to live where you can be near your friends." I know I am very fortunate in that respect."

[The Letters of C.S. Lewis to Arthur Greeves (29 December 1935)].

8 comments:

brent said...

No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth.
Roberr Southey (1744-1843)

Jayme said...

Being a thorough egomaniac I just had to see where my blog had been linked, thus I found yours. It's fun to think of having my little page read all the way over in the UK. I'm in Oklahoma now, but we just moved from Cambridge a few months ago. I don't miss the weather, but the rest of it has a dear place in my heart. I'm going to borrow the Southey quote Brent posted here for my blog - glad to have found it. Blessings upon you and your work.

Gary Brady said...

Egomania is something we all have to admit. My friend Chris enjoyed his mention too. An email from him goes on to point out that another 35 yrs would take us into our 80s "... wonder who'll go to the Lord first, if it's me will you do my funeral?" I like Chris ;-)
Nice to meet you Jayme though only virtually. I'm guessing you're on the left (but I like Jane Austen too so ...) PS You know, I'm sure, Roberr is a typo (Robert).

brent said...

Sorry for the typo. Spelling is not my strong suit. Nor proof reading apparently.

I've written quite a bit on friendship (4/14; 4/21; 5/22 for example). It's my opinion that social longing is a Divine quality. And friendship is a gift from Father. It's like when you give your sons things you really wanted as a kid.

I'm originally from Wales. I don't remember much about it though since I've not been there for about 8 or 9 generations.

Peace.

b

Gary Brady said...

Brent
Nice to hear from you too, especially with those strong (?) Celtic roots. Thanks for those tips.
I have an essay on friendship somewhere which I may be able to dust down.
Gary

Jayme said...

I'm so very NOT on the left (my lefty friends would find your assertion quite commical) - was it just the Jane Austin? Brent - the comment about social longing being a divine quality... that gave language to something I've felt - thanks. I guess I feel that way about longing generally - it's the hope of heaven aching to be realized.

Gary Brady said...

This is ages ago now but I was just going through my comments and noticed I'd not responded to your last comment. Well, I had to laugh. When I said you were on the left I meant in the picture not politically!! How's Oklahoma?

Jayme said...

Ah ha! Yes, the left. Oh the perils of e-communications! I was quite puzzled - thanks for the help.