The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Oxford

I've been promising myself a trip to Oxford to check out the Benjamin Beddome archive for some months now and I finally grabbed an opportunity last Thursday. Rhodri tagged along for trip #1 of his world tour of the UK. We headed off not long after 8 am to Baker Street. I met a South African lady who attended the church recently, which was a good providence. I hope we see her again.
We caught the Oxford Espress in Baker Street and were in Oxford by 11 am, a little later than anticipated. I then headed for Regents Park College's Angus Library, where various Beddome items can be found.
The current librarian (Rev Emma Walsh) is new to the job so, understandably, isn't yet as knowledgeable as the previous librarian (Mrs Mills) but she was very helpful indeed. There is something time transcendent about a good library. What a joy!
I had no time for the Bourton church minute books but consulted his will, a letter he wrote, a manuscript notebook compiled by his grandson (?) and one or two other things. I noticed again that there are around 30 or 40 of his hymns written in his own hand on scrap paper in a bundle and a set of notebooks (in another hand) containing hymns he wrote with texts and dates, which I must consult further some time (there are also notes to an unprinted sermon).
I also consulted the volumes containing all 225 printed Beddome sermons (several of which I do not have access to at present) and wrote down the texts. I also looked through the catalogue of his library, which is also housed in the Library. He had around 600 volumes, mostly in English but with some in Latin (and one in German). Puritan authors predominate - Arrowsmith, Owen, Goodwin, Sibbes, etc. I also noted polemical publications (from both sides) connected with the baptism debate and commentaries by Calvin. He had two works by Richard Bernard who I am also interested in so I took out Beddome's copy of Bernard on conscience - Christian see to thy conscience. It is an original 1631 edition. Beddome has added his name in two places near the front. These words also appear which I am unable to attach a meaning to as yet "perlect minse Junie 1776" [perlect = having read]. Beddome would have been 59 in this year. Anyway with nearly 20 pages of notes I've got plenty to keep the Beddome site going for a little while.
We headed back on the bus to baker Street. Rhodri then left me to go to an end of term do with his English class. Dylan was out at a concert in Hyde Park (someone had got some free tickets)and the little boys had just returned from a party at a friend's house when I arrived back mid-evening.

2 comments:

Jonathan Hunt said...

How does one get into these libraries and access such documents? Do you need an advance appointment, or membership, or anything?

Gary Brady said...

Advance appointment? Definitely. Membership? Not necessarily. One reason I could access the Angus free was that I'm a Baptist minister. Otherwise I think it all depends what you want to do. If it's genuine and specific study people are quite amenable. I think the Angus charges for genealogical research. Basically where there's a will there's a way. The libraries are only concerned to protect their collections, pay their way and facilitate study.