The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

It was 20 years ago today

It was twenty years ago today,
That's me and ’Leri’s wedding day.
We've been together for quite a while
But we hope this song can raise a smile.
So may I introduce to you
The act you've known for all these years,
Gary, ’Leri and a wedding band!
Gary Brady’s lonely heart’s been banned!

I thought you would be pleased to know,
Gary Brady’s lonely heart’s been banned!
That Gary Brady’s lonely heart’s been banned!
Sit back and see my feelings flow.
Gary Brady’s lonely, Gary Brady’s lonely,
Gary Brady’s lonely heart’s been banned!

It's wonderful to be wed,
It's certainly a thrill.
She’s such a lovely woman,
That’s why I took her home with me,
I love it that she's mine.

I don't really want to stop the show,
But I thought you might like to know,
That the kids are gonna sing a song,
And they want you all to sing along.
So let me introduce to you
Rhodz, Dylan, Dewi, Gweez and Oze
With “Gary Brady’s Lonely Heart’s been banned!”

4 comments:

Alan said...

Happy anniversary !

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary..llongyfarchiadau!! Chi'n werth y byd.

Yr Ellisiaid xxxx

Alan said...

I do wonder whether the poem should have been kept as a private gift to Eleri rather than shared with the world at large. But then romance is not the valleys boy's strongest attribute.

Gary Brady said...

As you might have noted Alan it's not entirely serious. I gave Eleri a book of 'em many years ago (they weren't all entirely serious either I confess).