The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Armenia


I was in town again today. They were celebrating St George's Day with a concert in Trafalgar Square where a crowd had gathered to watch musical acts. Meanwhile a few hundred Armenians and their friends were marching and handing out leaflets calling attention to the genocide of 1915, apparently still unacknowledged by Turkey. The UK (unlike many others) in the last 40 years or so has never formally acknowledged it either. Read more here.

A girl of Armenian background aged around 10 or so gave me a leaflet, which I thanked her for. I asked her if she knew which was the first Christian nation. She did not know and so I told her. It struck me as an oddity that she knew about 1915 but not about what happened in 301 AD. I suppose we teach our children what we think to be most important.

2 comments:

Turretinfan said...

fwiw - Georgia claims the title of first Christian nation.

Gary Brady said...

All depends what you mean. As for making Christianity the state religion it's Aremnia (301) Rome (324)and Gerogia (327). (At first I thought you might eb Georgian but I guess Turretinfan = Fan of Turretin [which doesn't stop you being Georgian of course];-))