The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Things Seen and Heard

So I am at the bus stop on the Kilburn High Road and three smartly dressed girls in hijabs on their way home from Primark are talking and one has a camera taking pictures. They are not dressed very alike but they look like they could be sisters, two of a similar age and one a bit older. The language they are using sounds rather European, which is counter-intuitive. May be its Malay, I guess. So I politely ask. Swedish, they say! They are from Stockholm. Of course, I've been caught out like this before with African speakers. As for them being sisters, the older girl tells me she is from Iraq and the other two are from Turkey and Lebanon. All Arabic anyway.

No comments: