The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Art and exposition

One of the paintings we saw in Dulwich was this Gainsborough painting of the Linley sisters. I have been looking at paintings quite a bit recently and one of the things that I am learning is that to get a painting you really need to look hard at it and take it in. So with this painting which I am sure I have seen before - I had never noticed the musical instrument one sister or the rose hidden in her bosom. The other thing is a bit of background, which our guide was able to give us regarding the Linley sisters. Together these two elements make for a far more interesting painting. It reminded me that when we read the Scriptures we often don't spend enough time just poring over the verses, asking questions and looking hard. Sometimes that along with some background material can transform our appreciation of a particular passage.  

No comments: