The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Dutch Day

Yesterday on my day off, it was an all Dutch affair. In the morning I went to my art history class on Rembrandt Van Rijn. Fascinating stuff as the master rose to the heights of fame and then went our of favour as he changed his style to no-one's pleasure.
In the evening I headed down to Chislehurst where Focus were doing the last date on their current UK tour. I thought we might have had more from the new album (more of that anon) but it was the usual stuff mostly, beginning with the very earliest Focus 1, Anonymus and House of the King and including an excellent rendition of several parts of Eruption (best piece of the night IMHO), a good version of Aya Yuppie Ye, La Cathedrale and Harem Scarem back to back as they often are (church to pub Thijs calls it) plus the obligatory Sylvia and a rather truncated Hocus Pocus just within the 11 pm curfew. So only time for three new tracks (Focus 10, an excellent All hens on deck and an isntrumental Le Tango). They were preceded by an unconscionably young Yorkshire trio born out of time called The Mentulls. They looked good (though too repetitive for my liking) until Focus appeared. Focus confirmed again that they are in a class of their own. It is a shame that the nostalgia trip has to dominate but that's what peoiple come to see I guess.
 

No comments: