The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day February 2 2014

We began this Lord's Day with communion. I then preached on the temptation of Christ from Matthew in the morning and Esther 7 in the evening. I remember a minister saying to me once that a pastor cannot expect to give his congregation slap up meals every Sunday. Sometimes it will be beans on toast. I felt like I had beans on toast sermons to serve yesterday. They preached better than I expected in preparation but I felt there was a bit of spark missing. We had a bumper turn out in the morning (mainly thanks to two groups of people turning up who we know but don't see so often) and a decent number in the evening. Still a few away, however. It was a big help to have my assistant take one of the readings in the morning and the prayer in the evening.

No comments: