The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day March 9 2014

I was not preaching yesterday but enjoying the discipline of sitting and listening. In the morning my assistant, Andrew Lolley, preached on Cain and Abel from Genesis 4. In the evening Paolo Patuelli of LTS preached on the woman who anointed Jesus in Luke 7. I led for Paolo who is Italian and read Proverbs 9 for Andrew. Both did very well. We had the students around for lunch (plus my oldest son and his wife before they headed back to Aber) and a nice tea together in the church parlour in the afternoon. Attendances were okay morning and evening. As few away though.

No comments: