The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day December 28 2014

It was the last Sunday of the year and although several were away the congregations were not too small. In the evening three people were there who would normally be elsewhere but I guess there was  no evening service there. I preached in the morning from 1 John 2:15-17. I thought 1 John 2:15 would make a good motto text for us this year. I have sent for postcards with it on. I did a children's talk on the candy cane, which I was not aware of before. (See here for an example of how to do it). It was good to sing a new year hymn or two. In the evening I preached from Zechariah 10:4 which I took as  a Messianic text declaring him to be our cornerstone, our tentpeg, our battle bow and the one who raises up rulers in his church. There was a lady there in the morning who we have not seen in ages since she left London. She has many troubles and she came home with us before we took her to the A&E where I left her but she did not hang around there. I hope she is okay.

No comments: