1. If you give the public a free choice they may not do what you expect.
2. London is in a bubble and has little clue about the rest of the country. There is even a petition for an independent London.
3. Many people do not understand how democracy works - the SNP being one example. They don't seem to realise that the vote was about the UK leaving the EU.
4. Another example is the people who have signed the petition to re-run the referendum.
5. Many people do not really understand what they are doing when they vote.
6. The best people understand democracy and look statesmanlike when they resign or accept reality. (Even George Osborne has managed to look reasonable for once).
7. Some people hate losing.
8. Not everybody automatically likes winning.
9. People (like the SNP, Sinn Fein, many Labour MPs and the BNP for example) are often quick to take advantage of the situation.
10. People will make any excuse for violence and abuse of others.