The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

10 useful Bible texts for this year

I've been reflecting on events this year so far and these texts have come to mind. They are worth considering.
1. 1 Timothy 5:24 The sins of some are obvious, reaching the place of judgement ahead of them; the sins of others trail behind them.
2. Jeremiah 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?
3. 1 Peter 5:8 Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour.
4. Romans 7:1, 19 For I know that good itself does not dwell in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For I do not do the good I want to do, but the evil I do not want to do – this I keep on doing.
5. Proverbs 28:26 Those who trust in themselves are fools, but those who walk in wisdom are kept safe.
6. Ecclesiastes 9:3 This is the evil in everything that happens under the sun: The same destiny overtakes all. The hearts of people, moreover, are full of evil and there is madness in their hearts while they live, and afterwards they join the dead.
7. Isaiah 2:22 Stop trusting in mere humans, who have but a breath in their nostrils. Why hold them in esteem?
8. Psalm 118:8 It is better to take refuge in the LORD than to trust in humans.
9. Hebrews 12:2a fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith.
10. Matthew 16:18a I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it.

No comments: