The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Phil Arthur on Luther at the Library

I've not yet taken opportunity here to say what a good time we had on Monday at the Evangelical Library when our annual lecture was given by Phil Arthur from Lancaster speaking on 1517 and Martin Luther.
With such an excellent speaker and topic I could have wished for a better attendance, though we must have been around thirty and pretty much filled the room. We were also quite on the grey side, it is true, but it was pure joy to see three generations from one family all represented on the front row.
Phil simply took us through the early part of Luther's life - his upbringing, conversion and the beginnings of the Reformation. As a trained historian he knows this material very well and was able to put it across in a manner that was very easy on the ear. I was rather tired for some reason but my attention kept up throughout.
A recording of the paper is available from the Library and I hope that in due time that we will publish a written version of the paper in In Writing (I am conscious that the paper from last year on J C Ryle is still outstanding but I will get to it). Even as I write, Phil is busy correcting the manuscript for the press. He has had ill health for a little while and now has to use voice recognition software to get things down. If you have ever used such software you will know that errors can easily creep in and he wants to iron these out before publication.
It was good to spend a little time with Phil, who is currently on sabbatical from Lancaster but will begin again, part time, in September.

No comments: