The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Grudem for sale


I was in a charity shop earlier today (Noah's Ark Hospice shop on the Finchley Rd) and was surprised to see a copy of Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology going for £2. I hope they've gone on to Bavinck rather than having abandoned theology. There was no sign of the previous owner within.

4 comments:

Stephen Kneale said...

Could be an angry Presbyterian still raging about the EFS/ERAS stuff. Grudem's gone but they've probably kept Berkhof.

Paul Burgess said...

Did you buy it?

Gary Brady said...

Stephen There's lots to be upset aboout in Grudem (not that I'm entirely happy with Berkhof). Imagine a desert island where you are casr adrift with only seven systematic theologies, which wold you choose ...
Paul - No. I have one and one is enough. It wa sslightly tatty but a bargain for someone at £2.
PS Thanks for your earlier comment on stone mangers,etc.

Gary Brady said...

I noticed today someone has bought it. It's gone anyway. Hopefully to a good home.