The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 45


This week's day off didn't go too well I felt. I think the problem was that even for a day off you need plans and aims, which I lacked. I did finish the book by Simon Garfield Timekeepers which as an excellent book on watchmaking, recorded music, film, time management, etc. Only an unbeliever could write a whole book on time and fail to mention eternity. He mentions death but not eternity. I also started a big new book on the history of 17th century Dorchester which looks hopeful. I also took the dog out and had a coffee, of course. Should have walked a bit further. I also got one or two other things done, including starting something I want to get done in preparaton for Christmas. We have Amazon Prime at present so I watched two episodes of Homecoming with Julia Roberts. Looks to me like a dud. File it next to ITV's recent Strangers which was an effort to watch through to the end and yielded nothing satisfying in the end. Golden age of TV?

No comments: