The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day May 26 2019


I have recently turned 60 and so I thought I might preach a sixtieth birthday sermon last Lord's Day morning. I turned to Psalm 66:16 which says Come and hear, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. So I spent a short time on Come and hear, and then spoke for a while about the fear of God. The final section was let me tell you what he has done for me where I spoke of God's providence to me in birth, life, call, etc. I feared that it might discourage any who felt their lives had been more difficult or thought it was a bit "me" centred but people seemed to appreciate my efforts.  After the morning meeting there was a cake and a happy birthday song, which was lovely. There was also a present - a coffee machine, which I have surprisingly learned to use quite quickly - the church are so kind. In the evening we were joined by some of the team in London for UBM's Christian Answer Weekend. The base church is West Kilburn but some sleep in our parlour and a few make it along to our evening service before heading back to WKBC. Always nice to see them. It meant we had about 22 for the evening meeting. I preached on my favourite text 1 Thessalonians 4:11, 12 and to make it your ambition to lead a quiet life: you should mind your own business and work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so that you will not be dependent on anybody.

No comments: