The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Newton House Conference 2022 Day 1


After missing a lot of conferences during the pandemic I thought I might be able to squeeze in two this week and early on Friday morning I headed down to Victoria and caught the Oxford Tube to be in St Aldate's for the Newton House Conference. We are not a large number, around thirty or so. As I expected there were some familiar faces and plenty I did not know and some sort of between.
We began with singing. We then had a good first paper from Mike Reeves introduicing the conference theme - the importance of the affections. The second half of the morning was exposition from John 14 by Clive Bowsher on the important theme of union with Christ.
We then and seminar options and I listened to Rob Brewis on Handley Mouule and Nick Abraham zooming from Ohio on Andrew Fuller's use of John Owen. Both very informative.
Our final session of the day was again online where we had a very helpful outline of the Sandemanian controversy and Fuller's reaction to it by Michael Haykin. Very helpful indeed.
There was plenty of opportunity for questions and I asked my fair share. Nice to interact with others. Most are Masters or doctoral students but involved in ministry too. Appreciated more free books and to buy a few others.
Several then had a meal together and a short tour of Oxford before I headed for my bed. Great day. Lots to ponder.
PS I should have mentioned that we had a brief video greeting from Gwenfair Adams in the US

No comments: