The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Elvis


Went to see the film Elvis last night. I wasn't sure whether it would pass muster but I must admit I was impressed. No doubt there are errors and simplifications but it basically gives you the story as it is understood, suggesting what a phenomenon Elvis was, what an advantage and disadvantage it was to have the Colonel as his promoter, Elvis's church and world background, etc. Perhaps it could have had a bit more gospel. Elvis recorded nearly 90 gospel songs (His Hand in Mine, In My Father's House, Joshua Fit the Battle, Swing Low Sweet Chariot, How Great Thou Art, By and By, Peace in the Valley, etc) but none are noted. The introduction of rap I understand but could have done without. Those are quibbles though. 

No comments: