The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Recent Deaths of Faithful Pastors


Over the last three weeks at least three faithful ministers of the Lord have gone to their reward. I believe Achille Blaize died back in mid-August and then Walt Chantry died on September 9. Peter Beale died on September 24 and his funeral is on October 13. Each of these men lived to a good age.
I also understand that Gordon Hoppe who ran the Christian Bookshop in Pratts Bottom and was involved in many other aspects of Christian work has died.

4 comments:

Gary Brady said...

I notice that Brother Andrew (Andrew van der Bijl) famous as God's smuggler died in Holland at the end of September. He must have been 94.

Anonymous said...

I had not heard about Peter. A dear man. -JH

Lauren D. McKinney said...

Hi, the link to Pastor Chantry's obituary is not functioning. Are you sure he died? Because I cannot find any other references to his passing. (I attended Grace Baptist while a student at Dickinson College.)

Gary Brady said...

Sorry. I believe that for various reasons his family have been reticent about publicising the death. It is confirmed on the Banner of Truth website https://banneroftruth.org/uk/about/banner-authors/walter-j-chantry/