The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Two Days Off Week 29 2023


It has been a while since a double day off and these two did involve getting sermon prep started for Wednesday and Sunday and a church zoom meeting on the second evening. However, I was able to devote a good chunk of my time to reading Volume 4 and 6 of Beddome's sermons. I am trying to make sure I've read them all. Four volumes are online but the other foour are not. I was up in Oxford recently to read Volume 5 and half of 8. I hope to get up there soon to do Volume 7 and the other half of 8. Back here I went up to the Evangelical Library to read Volume 6, which they have, and then read Volume 4 online the next day. I also read one of my art books, one on Chagall, on the Tuesday and dipped into other books on the Monday. Watched University Challenge on Monday evening, of course, (programme 2 of the season) with its new presenter and the end of a fact based drama about a horrible double murder case. I also found time to work on a project I have planned for my sister's next birthday.

No comments: