The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day October 29 2023


Last Lord's Day was a little bit different. In a welcome initiative from St Giles Christian Mission, four milles away in Islington, we arranged a morning swap. Aaron Prelock preached here and I preached in St Giles, which I'd not done before. The congregation is similar to ouor own in many ways but the building and congregation are twice the size, I guess, and they have managed to retain people who grew up there. We have no-one matching that description at Childs Hill. I preached from Song of Songs becasue it is a neglected book and that went okay but I was rather long needing to set things up for the one off sermon. In the evening I preached here on Job 36 and 37. I have rather struggled with these Elihu chapters having changed my view on him. A lot of epostion today and a lack of preaching I fear. 

No comments: