The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day April 28 2024


Once again, this last Lord's Day, while Eddie was holding the fort in Childs Hill, I was preaching to a large congregation in Kenya (this time an even bigger one, more like two hundred, perhaps twice what it was 12 years ago when I was here last). We began with a Bible class led by Dominic Kabaria, one of the elders, on the Trinity. He based his message on Wayne Grudem (who I notice has entered retirement just this week in America) and used the Athanasian Creed, which I ought to know better.
I preached at the 11 am service on John 3:16 and got on quite well I felt. It is intangible but I have the sense that when you prech to a congregation where there has been much prayer beforehand, it makes a huge difference.
After the service, Mark, who is the adminstrator for the Pastors College they have here, led a little gathering of newcomers and others, over a simple meal. Questions were asked and we had good conversation over praying for the dead, the Trinity and the word world inJohn 3:16.
In the afternoon at 3 pm Joshaua Bolaji, my fellow APC speaker, preached on Mark 1:40-2:17. He focussed on the leper, the parlaytic and Levi the tax collector and preached very warmly and effectively. I had never really thought about the fact that the paralytic's muscles would have been wasted away and yet Jesus immediately heals hom and tells him to get up and walk, which he does.
It was good to talk to many of the congregation after, much of the conversation to do with Scripture. The same atmosphere prevailed when we ate with Murungi Igweta and his family at his house on site. Once again, I am forced to accept the words of the Puritan pilgrim John Robinson who said "I am verily persuaded the Lord hath more truth yet to break forth out of His Holy Word”. This is also confirmed by the reading I have been able to do while here.
It really is a very positive situation here in Kenya, with a lot to be thankful for.
Joshua Bolaji

No comments: