The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Day Off Week 20 2024


Day off this week was mostly reading as ever. I made a good start on the book on revival by Michael Haykin. Full of good things. I rarely buy a newspaper these days but I sometimes look and see what obituaries appear and that can sway me. On Tuesday the combination of Frank Ifield and Ebrahim Raisi of Iran made me buy (we have an Iranian couple staying with us at the moment). We had Ifield's She taught me to yodel and one or two others at home when I was growing up so it was interesting to read about him. The Times artile was keen to tie him to The Beatles and was able to do that in various ways. I also headed out for lunch and in The Works I saw three books I fancied and bought them plus a collection of dog portraits in a book in a charity shop, which I bought. 

No comments: