The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Unruly by David Mtchell


As noted, this is another birthday book and I finished it today. It works through the monarchs of England from the beginning as far as Elizabeth I. The style is jocular but presumably accurate. The swearing and crudity is meant to be funny but I'm not sure it is and reminded me of the way some of my undergraduate lecturers would add a swear word to be in with the kids. It never worked. An enjoyable read and worth his doing I guess. His approach to the providence of God is interesting. He is very dismissive of those who see Gods hand in events but offers no real alternative approach. The book filled me in on the bits of history I've missed over the years.

No comments: