On Monday I spoke at a local ministers fraternal. About ten of us (Baptists and Presbyterians) gathered at Kogarah Bay Bible Church's premises. Some I'd met over the weekend but most I did not know. Among them was the legendary Peter Barnes whose many articles and books I've enjoyed down the years. I spoke about my pastorals for pastors reading scheme and passed on copies to all present. I also highlighted the emphasis on preaching in those letters. There was then a time of prayer when the men prayed about local church issues and for Nepal and regarding efforts to make the abortion laws worse here in Australia. After the fraternal I joined Andrew, Chris and Shane for lunch at a restaurant in Carss Park, looking out over Kogarah Bay.
The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.
Monday Morning Fraternal
On Monday I spoke at a local ministers fraternal. About ten of us (Baptists and Presbyterians) gathered at Kogarah Bay Bible Church's premises. Some I'd met over the weekend but most I did not know. Among them was the legendary Peter Barnes whose many articles and books I've enjoyed down the years. I spoke about my pastorals for pastors reading scheme and passed on copies to all present. I also highlighted the emphasis on preaching in those letters. There was then a time of prayer when the men prayed about local church issues and for Nepal and regarding efforts to make the abortion laws worse here in Australia. After the fraternal I joined Andrew, Chris and Shane for lunch at a restaurant in Carss Park, looking out over Kogarah Bay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment