The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Glastonbury

Listening to the news this morning I heard that the Arctic Monkeys went down well at Glastonbury (clearly important national news) and included a version of Diamonds Are Forever in their set - a tribute to Shirley Bassey, who, it said, is also due to appear. I've checked this out and indeed 'the spangle-clad septuagenarian will perform her most unlikely gig yet: sandwiched between James Morrison and the Manic Street Preachers on the Pyramid stage at Glastonbury'. She is in "the living legend slot". I think we can safely put this under the heading post-modern. It is typical of the way the wackiest institutions slowly get tamed and end up repeating all the showbiz cliches. I mean Shirley Bassey is what my parents generation listened to. What goes round comes round, I suppose.

No comments: