The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

25 Years Reflections 03


3. Over this period of 25 years I must have preached over 2000 sermons plus midweek meetings and other specials. We've covered most of the Bible though there are 9 or 10 books still to go, mostly in the OT. I've also preached various topical series and seasonal things, etc. I also teach the children in the Friday night clubs and on a Sunday morning where we alternate between theological and biblical material. This is the thing I've given most attention to. I think it has helped me to stay fresh and those who've been willing to sit under the teaching ministry have gained the most.
4. The period has been marked by few conversions. We have regularly given out thousands of tracts in Golders Green and sought to reach people in other ways but with little impact. Perhaps we've seen an average of one a year at most. One particular regret is not seeing anyone converted from an unbelieving home like I was. Indeed, some older children of the church remain unconverted. Oh how I wish there had been more conversions. But God often works at different rates and there is no reason why more may not be converted in the years to come.
5. Because the congregation is constantly changing it's quite hard to remember all the people I've preached to over the years. Over the last few weeks I've been jotting down the names of those I can remember bit by bit as they've come to me. Those here for any length of time must number well over 200. I began with those I'd baptised. Like Paul I find it difficult to remember exactly who I've baptised but I make it about 22 here.
I've mentioned the 4 originals who remain. They were supplemented early on by people like Ellen, Billy, Paul and Eleri, of course. About 30-40 others with these make up the current congregation. These include my wonderful deacons Mike, Billy and Paul – the finest deacons in the country I'd say.
Some have died, of course, but there have been remarkably few funerals to take. I think that's a London thing. The biggest drain has been families who would like to have stayed but were unable to afford to live here, people like the Barnses, Yerbys, Harrises, etc (so nice to see so many of them last Saturday). We've lost three good deacons that way. When we include children there must be over 60 such.
Also there have been a number of LTS students – about 15 I think, some with families. Three of them went on to be my assistants for a year – Mark Raines, Robin Asgher and Ian Middlemist. What a joy that has been.
Others we remember include people like the Fawells and Messis; Mariam from Ivory Coast and Marilyn from the Philippines; people only with us a short while like Georgina from New Zealand, Hiroto from Japan and Martin T now in Durham; au pairs like Martina, Mirka, Lucy, Franziska, Christin, Mahela; one or two students like Judith and Catherine; various Koreans; Africans like Ayoade and Dr Banda; the Achimugu family – a congregation in themselves; some failures like Mike B, Mark & Belinda and others; characters like Bill Smith who used to tether his goat at the back of the church and Kath Hill a large lady who would sometimes come with rats concealed about her person. From Angola, from Zambia, from Brazil, from the Philippines, from all over Europe (except Scandinavia) we have or have had people from about 30 different nations I guess.
6. I ought to say something Christian work outside the church too but there's no time. Being in London there are endless committees to be involved in and conferences to go to. The church has been very good about this and I'm thankful to them. I've also been able to write three books, which I'd like to commend, especially the latest one dedicated to members of the congregation past and present.
7. Finally I'd like to pay tribute to my family. I remember a meeting with my deacons once when I said that there was a church in Wales showing some interest in me. They didn't think that was a good idea. We don't want to lose your family they said! I felt a little left out at the time but they were right. By God's grace I was able to serve here as a single man. However, my family is a great asset. To be in such a family, especially to be the wife of such a man does involve certain sacrifices and this is sometimes forgotten. I do want to place on record my thankfulness therefore. Similarly there are family back in South Wales who miss out to some extent because I'm here. People sometimes moan about the one man ministry but in fact there's no such thing. Without the support of friends and family I couldn't do half of what I do.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"One particular regret is not seeing anyone converted from an unbelieving home like I was."

I can think of a few! Including our most recent member.

Also - why does being in London create less funerals!?

Jonathan Hunt said...

He he. Now you're getting scrutinised by your net-savvy offspring!

Gary, thank you for sharing these things. There are very few who write as you do. It is such an encouragement to read.

Indeed, it is an obvious sign of God's blessing that with a membership/congregation of the size you have stated, the church has always been able to support you.

Your remarks about people having to leave London will resonate with many. You know my background, at the Met Tab. Without an entire generation making vast sacrifices to stay at the Tab in the 70s/80s it is inconceivable that many of the things that have been done could have been done. Of course, if everyone stayed, the church would be three times the size, but that goes for anywhere urban I think.

These days it is even harder, and young folk at the Tab have to live up to an hour away to afford it.

Anyway, side-tracked. Much humbled by these reflections and your self-criticism. If I might serve God for as long in ministry and baptise one person a year I would confess myself to be happy indeed.

J

Gary Brady said...

Sorry for the deklay in answering these
Rhodri - Yes I was pouring more into that "like I was" than is merited.
Jonathan - Compliments, observations,etc, all gratefully received. Every blessing in Christ.