The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Bad Christians 01


I'm working through Keller's book The Reason for God and have reached his section on how come Christians are so obnoxious. I'd like to add an observation on this.
One trait found in some Christians is their divisiveness. Given that we are to work at unity and show Christ by our love, this is not always easy to defend. Paul even warns against tolerating divisive Christians. Why does it happen so frequently then?
I think that part of the answer lies in the very process of becoming a Christian in the first place. When you become a Christian you are pretty much saying that most people are wrong - it's a difficult moment but when you've done it once it can get easier with time. First you say most of the world is wrong, then many or most Christians are wrong, then a few more. Before you know where you are everyone's wrong but me and thee (and I'm not sure about thee).
And my point? This is one of the traits we can see in others and to some extent we may understand it. We also ought to beware of getting into such a compulsive way of thinking.

No comments: