The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Christian's Great Interest

I almost forgot, when I was in Norfolk the other week the chairman commended the book The Christian's Great interest by the Puritan William Guthrie (first published in 1658). It was a favourite among some church members when I first came here and is an excellent book. if you've not read it, you ought to.
It describes simply, clearly and in an attractive style what it means to be a Christian and how to become one. Guthrie has been called "a master spiritual physician". His wisdom is seen on every page of this work.
'I am finishing Guthrie,' wrote Thomas Chalmers once, 'which I think is the best book I ever read.'
On the same book John Owen once said 'That author I take to be one of the greatest divines that ever wrote. His book is my vade mecum. I carry it always with me'.
Perhaps the title isn't the best but it is a great little book. It includes material on what is and is not the unforgivable sin.

No comments: