The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 02



I'm not going to be able to visit my dad this week but I did get to see him last week. I took a train from Leicester to Newport changing at Birmingham. I sat opposite a Ghanaian girl reading Bible notes so I talked to her. She was training to be a director in Leicester. I also spoke briefly with an octogenarian woman who asked for help getting off at Gloucester to meet her daughter.
I got to my dad slightly later than the start of visiting time. He was sound asleep anyway so I didn't wake him for a while. I had a good while with him then before going for a bit of tea in the canteen there. This was one of the best times I've ever had with my dad I guess. John Edmonds (Gail's pastor in Pontrhydyrun) had been and he was telling me about what John had said - relating the death bed conversion I mentioned and sounding much more positive about it this time and then all about Jesus. We talked about Jesus too and read again from Mark's Gospel and prayed. My father was happy to talk about death so we talked about what that involves too. He also wanted to hear again how I'd been converted. It wasn't all good by any means but there was a sliver of hope.
Anyway I stayed over night in his flat again and then headed off. It was a very pleasant morning (see pic) and as I walked along I made up a song (as I do). I got Rhodri to play it on the piano for me back home. I spoke to a German student on the bus who was quite sceptical. I explained that they believe in God but just suppress it. It was good ton be home again after such a long time away.
It was good to be back after such a long time away. I got everyone a magazine (Dr Who, Spiderman, Match, Match of the day, Time, Hello, Private Eye) in Smiths Victoria.

No comments: