The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Visiting Dad 03

This visit was a little different to the others in several ways. First, although I had booked to go by coach it worked out that I went by car, so I was hermetically sealed most of the way except for stops at Heathrow (see previous blog) and Newbury (we were out of money and needed to eat). Then Rhodri was with me, so that was different. Thirdly, my dad is now home from hospital. I also saw my sister Gail and most of her family, which hasn't happened much previously.
So when we arrived around 6 pm Gail was there and the support worker (is that what they are called?). Most of the time it was just me and my dad and then before we went Rhodri was with us as we read the next bit from Mark's Gospel and we talked about what really counts. My dad is maintaining his 'I'm not against so I must be for' line, which I find slightly unconvincing. It's not in my hands.
So a more difficult visit in some ways - the TV doesn't help. My dad seems perfectly well but we know he's not and we will see how things unfold over the next few weeks. He's eighty soon so we'll look forward to that.

No comments: