The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Ancient Cassette Tape 1


I came across a pile of cassette tapes the other day. It included this home made tape, which I wasn't sure of at first. What it appears to be is a series of recordings mostly of 7" singles of mine or that were in my parental home. I must have done it in 1992 or so. Before throwing it away I thought I'd note what was on it.
An eclectic set indeed covering the years 1959-1992 it contains nearly twenty tracks as follows:
1. Autobahn Kraftwerk 1974 (bought it second hand off a boy called Glenn Harris)
2. Bohemian Rhapsody Queen 1975 (Christmas present from my parents) 
3. Laser Love T Rex 1976 (bought this new)
4. Wuthering Heights Kate Bush 1978 (my sister's I guess, not mine anyway) 
5. Time after time Cyndi Lauper 1984 (Christmas present from my sister)
6. If you're looking for a way out Odyssey 1980 (Christmas present from my sister too, a great favourite)
7. Where she goes The La's 1990 (not sure where this was from)
8. The TV theme tune to Thirtysomething This 4 season series ran late eighties early nineties. Eleri enjoyed watching it. I had a favourite trick of coming into the room when it was on and asking innocently how old she thought a certain character was. If I could get her to say thirtysomething, which she did more than once I was happy. I wrote some words to the song which I must dig out some time.   
9. The TV theme tune Cheers Both Eleri and I watched this series (there were 11 seasons) which ran throughout the eighties and into the nineties
10/11. Who's gonna ride your wild horses and Paint it Black U2 1992 (I bought this in Aberystwyth)
12/13. With a little help from my friends Wet Wet Wet and She's leaving home Billy Bragg 1988 (these must be from a copy of the album Sgt Pepper Knew My Father - my sister's no doubt - not sure why I recorded them).
14/15. She loves you and I'll get you The Beatles 1963 (I can't remember a time when that single was not in our house at home)
16. Keep Searchin' We'll follow the sun Del Shannon 1964
17. House of the rising sun The Animals 1964
18. Lovesick Blues Frank Ifield 1962
19. Only Sixteen Craig Douglas 1959
(Those last four would be part of the collection of singles that were in our house - they came from two main sources: my older cousin Gillian and a man in the street who worked with jukeboxes. All four would be from the previous collection.)

No comments: