The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Another Sunday

One of the anomalies of this blog is that although my main work is preaching the Word Sunday by Sunday, it rarely gets a mention.
Perhaps it seems too obvious. I must try and fix that. This last Sunday was a red letter day. In the morning I was continuing our studies in Ephesians, beginning on the last chapter where Paul addresses children and fathers, which has to be done with wisdom and care as probably more than half of the congregation would not fall into either category. I have two LTS students with me on placement at present so I had them read the Word and pray, which they did well. We then had lunch together, which we do every other month. It's always a good time, though hard on the waist line.
Then in the evening we had a baptism. A young woman of Nigerian background, a pharmacy student, whose family have been with us for years was baptised. It was nice to see a congregation almost as large as the morning one and to hear her testimony and to preach from the end of Matthew's Gospel.

No comments: