The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Childhood songs 9 Michael row


I have a new minor hobby - twiddling with the digital radio. I like to turn to Kerraang! and hear exactly what you'd expect and Absolute Radio have designated channels for the sixties, seventies, eighties and more. I particularly like hearing songs I've never heard played on radio before. I think it was on Gold that I heard this request played. It was a song I remember my mother singing, although I understand it was number 1 here in 1961 having been popularised by the folk singer Pete Seeger before crossing over. Unsurprisingly it is an American spiritual first recorded a hundred year before Seeger got hold of it. I remember asking my mother who this Michael was. She told me Michael was another name for Jesus (which is the official JW line - she was under their influence at the time). I think I am right in saying that Calvin and other good Reformers and Puritans would take the same view though most good men today would not. The recording is from a concert organised for Pete Seeger's ninetieth a few years back. The line "meet my mother on the other side" is now full of  tear jerking meaning. (Not sure who all the people are - that muts be Rufus Wainwright with the beard, I guess, and the Irish lady must be a McGarrigle. Don't know.)

No comments: