The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

King of the superlative

These days I'm usually greeted by one superlative or another when I come into the kitchen in the mornings. They're not directed at me. They come from the mouth of animal enthusiast Steve Backshall as to my sons' delight he works his way through his Deadly 60 on BBC (I'm sure he must be over the 60 by now). I've rarely seen a man so excited. The only sad thing is that Steve doesn't seem to realise that all these wonderful creatures were made by one Creator who deserves all the superlatives Steve can conjure. More here. Wikipedia tells us that  "He has dived with Great White and tiger sharks, caught king cobras and black mambas, had a redback spider on his hand and was bitten on screen by a crocodile".

No comments: