The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Last Week 3 Met Tab 01


On Tuesday afternoon I was at the Metropolitan Tabernacle for the beginning of their Summer School of Theology. As well attended as ever, the line up of speakers was quite familiar. I missed Jack Seaton but was in my seat in time for John Thackway on the Spirit's work in times of trouble and distress, followed by Peter Masters on the indwelling Spirit. The room was too full to squeeze into to hear the news from China but I stayed for Joel Beeke who is always worth listening to. This time he spoke on cultivating holiness and on the Love of God.
On the subsequent days, I also caught Dr Beeke on living submissively and fighting unbelief. I had to miss Roland Burrows and the subsequent papers from Mr Thackway and Dr Masters but I did hear Chris Buss's messages on the tongue and on sensitivity and usefulness. I am not sure what the problem was but it was difficult to get much from these addresses beyond what one might have found by reading the passages quoted. Part of the problem may be is the skilful way the addresses are described on the programme. They rarely seem to satisfy the appetite that has been whetted. We will keep the other addresses heard for another post.

No comments: