1. The job of the artist is always to deepen the mystery
2. A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art
3. Art is made to disturb. Science reassures. There is only one valuable thing in art: the thing you cannot explain.
4. Great art picks up where nature ends.
5. Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it./ Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing.
6. Art is not what you see, but what you make others see.
7. The longer you look at an object, the more abstract it becomes, and, ironically, the more real.
8. If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.
9. Painting is just another way of keeping a diary.
10. Painting is the most beautiful of lies
Kees van Dongen