The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Aber Conference 2013 The Whole Thing



 
Aber is much more than the morning and evening addresses and even the mini conference at the beginning, of course.
I mentioned that I was at the Alistair Begg seminar on preaching. There were at least two other seminars (one with Roger Hitchings on dementia and a history one on R M M'Cheyne with Paul Yeulett) which I would love to have attended.
I led one of the daily prayer meetings this year and I felt that went very well on the whole. Between 80 and 90 of us met in the cinema each morning and after a brief devotional intro we got into prayer and about thirty different men and women led in prayer. There are some acoustics problems with the venue but most of the praying could be heard and was of a good standard. It made a great start to each day. I especially appreciated it as I seldom get to the prayer meetings usually and have distant memories of much less satisfying ones in the past.
Seminars are also organised for the young people and older age groups. I was not involved in any of that this year but some of my sons went to Extra Time and my sister-in-law and her husband ran the Tome out sessions and that all sounded very positive and worthwhile. Who knows how much good is done in a week like that.
Oh yes, it was also good to see my wife's cousin Gwydion and his wife Catrin on the stage being presented as the new wardens of EMW's centre Bryn Y Groes, Bala. There was also another presentation. More of that in another blog.
Of course, on top of that there is the interaction with so many people more informally. Keith and Janice Hoare kindly invited us to their flat once again to catch up on things. I had plenty of chats with others too and caught up on various bits of news. Great stuff. Don Carson next year with Joel Beeke, Paul Mallard and, presumably, another two Welshmen.

No comments: