The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day August 4 2013

I am often not in London on the first Sunday in August so it was good to be preaching here. Numbers were down a bit in the morning but not too bad. I carried on with 1 Corinthians 7 (17-24) and the matter of guidance. God's work in our hearts is the radical thing. Otherwise we should be pretty conservative. In the evening I did the last of my series on heavenly crow looking at the Crown of glory mentioned in 1 Peter 5:4 and the similar reference in 1 Thessalonians 2:19. We enjoyed having lunch in the garden with one of my deacons and his family.

No comments: