The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Summer reading Christian books


I was glad to see the new book Engaging with Keller a book of essays by mainly British based Presbyterians giving a critique of the popular preacher. I was glad to see it as I have read and heard Keller with profit but am still a little nervous about him. This book which is irenic throughout gives chapter and verse on a number of issues - ie Keller's views on sin (I D Campbell) hell (Bill Schweitzer) the Trinity (Kevin Bidwell) the church's mission (Peter Naylor) hermeneutics (Richard Holst) evolution (Schweitzer again) the church ( D G Hart). The authors have done us all a favour by setting out exactly where they think Keller might be wrong. The book is also useful for all pastors as however orthodox we may endeavour to be, it is very easy to fall into an error of one sort or another and here is a gentle warning and, if necessary, a corrective. Well done EP for publishing it and to all the contributors for putting in the work necessary.
I also read Packer's latest Weakness is the Way which is written out of long experience, well informed theological thought and with thorough and careful exegesis (of 2 Corinthians) but in a gentle and well written style. I fell in love with the book from the start, had a brief struggle when we got onto the subject of money, which didn't make me feel quite so warm inside and then was just moved with thankfulness for the book as a whole which is such a good one. (My one slight criticism, observation really, would be that it is a very short book, the texts expounded also being reproduced in its pages). May be this video will whet your appetite.

1 comment:

Rhodri Brady said...

So when Taid comes down this weekend could you lend me these two books? As a poor young budding theologian I would really like to read them. :-) xx