The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

Lord's Day January 5 2014

We began with communion at around 10.15. I then preached morning and evening looking at the flight into Egypt and the slaughter of the Bethlehem children from Matthew 2 in the morning and at Esther 3 in the evening. Both services were decently attended with a few visitors in. Having not preached twice on a Sunday much recently I noticed some things I have in the past. First, if you preach two sermons in one day, almost by definition one will be better than the other. In that case it is probably best to do the better one in the evening, which I don't think I did. There is also the matter of overlap. Because I dealt partly with Herod in the morning and Haman in the evening, there was a certain similarity in the material. I was probably a little tired in the evening too as were others. That's okay but one needs to take care. I read a very long chapter - our consecutive reading from Ezekiel. With one or two comments it took 15 minutes and that was too long. Still learning.

No comments: