The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

God made me

The double Oscar winning German born actress Luise Rainer died at the end of last year, aged 104. Many reported her own description of an encounter with MGM head Louis B Meyer.
"I was one of the horses of the Louis B. Mayer stable," she said "and I thought the films I was given after my Academy Awards were not worthy. I couldn’t stand it anymore. Like a fire, it went to Louis B. Mayer, and I was called to him. He said, ‘We made you, and we are going to kill you.’
“And I said: ‘Mr. Mayer, you did not make me. God made me. I am now in my 20s. You are an old man,’ which of course was an insult. ‘By the time I am 40 you will be dead.’” (She was not quite right. She was 47 when he died. But she outlived him by more than a half-century.) I wonder of she had been reading her catechism to get that statement?

No comments: