The similar phrase 'Worldly Christianity' is one used by Bonhoeffer. It's J Gresham Machen that I want to line up most closely with. See his Christianity and culture here. Having done commentaries on Proverbs (Heavenly Wisdom) and Song of Songs (Heavenly Love), a matching title for Ecclesiastes would be Heavenly Worldliness. For my stance on worldliness, see 3 posts here.

John Ruskin

The recent interest I have had in the artist Turner led me to think about John Ruskin again, who I knew little about. I decided to read a little biography I have on my shelves by Robert Hewison, which I think is just actually the current ODNB entry. It was just what I wanted. I was aware of Ruskin's evangelical background and that he had heard and met Spurgeon. What I had missed was the fact that an Irish banker, the father of one of the great and tragic loves of his life, Rose La Touche, was baptised by Spurgeon and was a member at the Tabernacle.

No comments: